Overwatch Open Beta this weekend

SWAT_Dan

*S.W.A.T.* Member
Dec 16, 2007
Chicago
Anyone going to give it a try? Looks like it could be fun to me.

Beta runs Thursday through Monday. I'm usually out Friday night with friends and have a board game night Saturdays. I'll probably be on very late those nights, and hopefully I'll have a good length to play on Sunday.

twopointoh#1738

SWAT_Dan

*S.W.A.T.* Member
Dec 16, 2007
Chicago
I know some people have not been fond of Overwatch, but I found myself enamored with it. When it was announced that the Tuesday launch was actually a 7pm Monday launch, I found myself logging in at lunch to preorder it because I was THAT excited to play it when I got home. My full D&D group also bought into the game, which was exciting because we were looking for something to fill our slated Tuesday night time when one member of the group could not make it, without having to npc their pc.

I have been thrilled with the game so far. I love the lack of commitment the game requires. I can decide to hop into the game for 30 minutes, and actually be done in 20 minutes. It is so accessible on this front. I had to spend a night cleaning for our meeting to re-sign our lease with my landlord, and I didn't feel at all guilty to 'pop into Overwatch for a round or two.'

It is very accessible as well because each of the heroes are so easy to understand, but there is also so much depth to each of the heroes as you play them more. It seems like there will be a strong meta game as heroes get picked more and counters are discovered for each of the heroes (even over the course of a week, I've noticed bastion fall out of favor as people have learned to counter him).

This may not be a game that I'd be able to log into for 4 hours a night when I get home. However, for the limited amount of time I am able to login to play, I find myself so excited for each session.

This has really rekindled my love for PC gaming. I don't have the time to pick up a game for 30 hours a week, but for maybe 5-10 hours a week, this is the perfect choice. Feeling the love of my PC as a gaming machine has also caused me to login more to other games as well, like Diablo, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age.